I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine

I'm a huge fan of snail mail and always get excited when postcards, letters, or packages arrive for me, even if the package is just something I ordered off Amazon for myself. I've been meaning to send out postcards from Bryn Mawr College to many of my high school friends, but I haven't gotten around to that yet, what with life going on--ah, life, always so inopportune (haha just kidding...maybe). Anyways, this means that I've been saving my updates for these postcards I haven't yet written, and thus have been avoiding contact for fear of divulging updates that would render my postcards "outdated"--snail mail is slow enough as it is, and don't even get me started on the complexities of postage stamps!

I've been off the grid ever since I started college, except for playing Bakery Story (still going strong!!), but since I've been at it for over a month now, and it's the beginning of a new one (Happy October!), I figured that now would be as good a time as any for a little update. I can't fit it all on a postcard anyway.

Although the Bryn Mawr College dining service is ranked pretty high, one can stand only so much dining hall food. One weekend I took the SEPTA to meet up with friends at Reading Terminal Market, right across the exit of Market East Station (renamed Jefferson Station), and it was like the Eataly in New York with food as far as the eye could see. Unfortunately, I didn't know that that was where my friends were taking me, so I didn't bring a camera, but I'll definitely be making a trip down there again some time. Chinatown isn't far from there either. I might make the trip over Fall Break.

no-bake Nutella cheesecake with Oreo crust
verdict: amped up the recipe by sprinkling over semi-sweet chocolate chips #chefs

Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies
verdict: accidentally made five dozen between the four of us

strawberry-banana Jell-O
verdict: horrendous catastrophe

I miss my kitchen and all of its baking parties! Before leaving for college, SheenaNicole, and I went to Julia's for a last baking party where we made these (mostly) delectable goodies. I've been on the hunt for no-bake recipes as we're not allowed to cook/bake in our dorms. If you have any good ones, let me know! For now, I'm going to content myself with midnight snacks from Insomnia Cookies and cupcakes from Twelve Baskets, which I discovered during Bryn Mawr Day.


I had this one last night and it was the best cupcake I've ever eaten in my life. Highly recommended. Hopefully I haven't progressed too far into the Freshman Fifty Fifteen. After all, I am walking around Bryn Mawr a lot, which, true to its Welsh namesake meaning "big hill," is, well, hilly.

In fact, even though I haven't been sightseeing Philly, or even been off campus that often for that matter, I feel totally swamped! I'm still not used to living at school. When does school start? When am I supposed to be on task? When does school end? When can I start chillin'? Ideally, I should always be on task, whether or not it is "school time," but someone like me doesn't cope well with always being on task. The thought of always being on task, finishing one thing only to start the next one, sends me into a state of panic, which isn't really a good thing for productivity (unless stress is your friend?).

Maybe I slacked off too much during the last semester of my senior year of high school. I've become so used to having outings and jam sessions and photo trips. Is it possible to feel like you're doing so much, but at the same, not doing anything at all? Because that's me in a nutshell.

Mid-terms are happening over the next two weeks, but thankfully I only have two of them: Introduction to Economics and Calculus 1. After that, I'm on Fall Break, which I'll reserve for touring Philly, AKA hunting for bloggable moments. Until then, I'll do my best to hold off spiraling into an existential crisis.

Labels: