Birthday surprise // 35x52

I don't like advertising my birthday, because after the congratulations, people always ask, "Are you doing anything special today?" I recall a year or two ago one of my irl friends said, "We're all looking forward to see what you do for your birthday on your blog!" and on the outside I was like :D because I still get the warm fuzzies when friends tell me they read my blog, but in my head I was like, oh no.


No, I'm not doing anything special today. When I say that I feel like I've done something wrong, like I haven't lived up to your expectations. Just another day I suppose... LOL jk. (kinda maybe)

I'm not big on celebrations. Maybe that's just the lazy part of me speaking. But c'mon, you gotta admit that getting ready for celebrations and maintaining energy throughout takes a lot of effort!

Time is just a construct. Today is just another day. I've made 19 times 365 of them. Nbd.

No, I'm not doing anything special today. I'm sitting in the common room holding Peer Mentor office hours with my partner all morning and a bit into the afternoon. And then I'm eating in the campus dining hall. Then I'm taking the bus over to Haverford to perform for their customs closing a cappella concert (customs is what we call freshman orientation). Yes, I am spending this "special" day just like any other day. I will not have the stress of trying to make it better than the previous 364.

Sophie and I are still sitting in the common room, waiting for first-years to appear and ask us their questions, when Bomi appears and calls for an impromptu photoshoot--nothing fancy, just a few quick portraits, supposedly something to commemorate this "special" day. Business is slow for me and Sophie, so we agree and quickly dart out the doors to snap a few shots before the first-years arrive. Sophie already has her ponytail pulled out, always ready for the papparazzi.

Distracted by the camera, little do we realize, there's a rustle behind the bushes as three figures sneak through the side-entrance of the dorm, arms stashed with tape and printed pictures.

Laughs had, photoshoot done, Bomi, Sophie, and I head back into the dorm and continue to patiently wait for the first-years. From the room adjacent to ours, some people are messing around on the piano. It's the first sign of life we've had on this slow morning. Sophie and I join in and chorus, "Peeeeer Meeeentooooors," subtly promoting our current office hours. We're laughing at how clever we are when the piano suddenly switches to a different song.

Three voices burst out, accompanied by three heads poking around the corner, singing, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUU!" Ami, Georgina, and Victoria collapse into giggles at whatever confused expression is on my face and then pull me over to my room to show me their work. Plastered all over my door are *super attractive* pictures of me complete with markered illustrations and captions.


Tbh I'm just touched that I have friends who'd trek all the way from the other side of campus for me :')

PS: 3433&323130292827262524232221201918171615141312111009.

Labels: , ,